The iPhone 3G is coming out this Friday, the 11th, and it’s gonna be wild. People are already planning out their day around their trip to the Apple or AT&T store.
That being said, unless you’re this guy…
…you’ll need the following tips. Read on young Jedi.
– The iPhone 3G will be for sale in both Apple and AT&T Stores.
– The iPhone 3G will cost $199 (8GB) and $299 (16GB) if:
- You are an AT&T customer and are eligible for an upgrade
- You already have an iPhone
- You are a new customer signing a first time 2 year contract with AT&T
– To check if you’re eligibile for an upgrade, go here.
– To check if you already have an iPhone, check your pocket/desk/hand/dock.
– If you don’t fall under any of the above 3 criteria, then you will pay:
$399 (8GB) and $499 (16GB)…ouch
– Both Apple and AT&T Stores will open their doors at 8:00 AM
– What to bring: (to both Apple and AT&T Stores)
- Credit Card
Social Security Number (You just need to know the last 4 digits)
Official Photo ID
Current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you aren’t a current AT&T customer)
– You will NOT be able to buy the iPhone 3G on the Apple or AT&T Online Store
– You must activate your iPhone 3G in-store, not via iTunes like with the original
In The Apple Store
– Locate an Apple store near you here.
– Come early, and prepare to wait.
– If you’re planning to camp out, remember to do the following:
- Inform your boss that you have "a dentist appointment"
- Bring your girlfriend (who’s gonna hold your spot when you go to the bathroom?)
- Bring reading material (It’s the mall, so if you wanna read Playboy, just do it on your iPhone)
- Snacks. At 8:00 AM most in-mall cafe’s aren’t open yet.
- Coffee/Red Bull – If you fall asleep, everyone will just pass you.
- Bring your dignity. You’re gonna need it. Trust me – you’ll be vulnerable.
– Go here to check iPhone 3G availability in a specific Apple store. The availability is updated at 9:00 PM daily regarding the following day.
– Sync your iPhone one last time before you go. Seriously, that’s what Apple said.
– Remember, one iPhone per customer.
– Once you’re in the Apple store, an "iPhone Specialist" will help you choose your phone and rate plan.
– The iPhone Specialist will activate your iPhone 3G in about 15 minutes. The phone will be ready to make calls, browse the web, and receive emails as soon as you walk out the door.
In The AT&T Store
– Go here to locate an AT&T store near you.
– The AT&T Store iPhone 3G buying experience is pretty much gonna be the same as at the Apple Store, with the following exceptions.
- The AT&T store doesn’t have the glam of the Apple store – so if you’re looking to get on TV, the AT&T store is the wrong one of the two.
- AT&T will have a much smaller stock than Apple, but don’t be discouraged.
- There has been a rumor that AT&T will not have the white 16GB model, but don’t buy into it all too much.
- If they run out of stock, you can still pay for one and get a phone call once a new shipment comes in (probably next day). This is something you can’t do at the Apple store.
Given the above information, it’s for you to decide which store you’ll be going to.
Note: If you’re a business customer who receives service under a corporate account, you must go to the AT&T store, not the Apple store.
So, a quick overview:
So, a quick overview:
- Be ready to wait
- Know which iPhone you want
- Know which AT&T iPhone Plan you want
- Bring the 4 items listed above
- Credit card
- Social Security #
- Official Picture ID
- Current wireless acount # and PIN (if your not an AT&T customer)
- You must be 18 years old
- And remember, NO CASH!
Good luck iPhoners, may the force be with you.