So, you want your friend’s iPhone apps but you’re scared to sync your phone to his iTunes because you think some kind of voodoo will brick your iPhone? Well fear no more. Here’s how you get somebody elses apps (just to demo them).
Note: You can get both paid and free apps.
- Connect your iPhone to your iTunes.
- Sync applications.
- If you have apps that you downloaded directly onto your iPhone (rather than through iTunes) make sure you transfer the files into iTunes. iTunes will automatically notify you of this and ask you "transfer" or "don’t transfer".
- Now all your apps are safe and sound on iTunes.
- Find a friend with lots off apps and go to his house (bring your iPhone)
- Connect your iPhone to his iTunes
- Sync applications
- Voila! You have all your friend’s apps on your iPhone now. However, all your own apps have disappeared.
- To get your own apps back, simply re-sync your iPhone to your own iTunes (and all your friend’s apps will be replaced with your own original apps)
And don’t worry – your iPhone will be safe and sound…we had numerous trials.
So, what’s the point?
You can demo apps (for as long as you want) before actually buying them. When your done "demoing", sync back to your own iTunes and get all your own apps back – and if you feel like buying the apps now that you’ve "demoed" them – go right ahead.
Note: This seems to only work between iPhones of the same generation. In other words, you can get apps on your iPhone 3G from your friend who also has an iPhone 3G. Or, you can get apps on your original iphone from your friend who also has an original iPhone – but not from the 3G to the original, and vice versa.