We recently showed you “12 iPhone Tricks You Might Not Know“, and we’re back to give you more. Due to all the great feedback our readers gave us, and some further iPhone experimentation (a.k.a. iPerimentation) on our part, we’ve found some other tips and tricks that can enhance your iPhone experience.
While you might find some of these iPhone tips and tricks elementary, I’m sure there’s atleast something on this list that you didn’t know of. And if you did, congrats iPhoner – now see how you stand up against the ultimate iPhone glossary.
1. Double tap space bar for a period –
When typing on your iPhone, double tapping the space bar at the end of a sentence automatically enters a period followed by a space. No need to press “123” to get to the numbers and symbols page where the period typically resides. I use this trick daily and it heavily increases my typing speed (especially when texting).
2. Tap the bottom corner to navigate home screens
When on your home screen, try tapping the bottom right/left corner to switch between pages instead of swiping your finger accross the screen.
3. Take out your SIM card during backup and sync –
We’ve all experienced it. You’re backing up and syncing your iPhone, and the hour long back up is nearly complete. Then all of a sudden you get a phone call, and the whole back up/sync is null and void.
To avoid this happening, simply start the backup/sync, then pull out your SIM card. Do not worry, this does not damage your phone at all. Put it back in once everything is complete. This way, your backup won’t get interrupted.
This tip is also useful if you need to make a phone call while your iPhone is backing up/syncing. Since unlocking your phone cancels the process, just take out your SIM card, pop it in your old cell phone, and call away.
4. Move “dock” icons
You’d be surprised how often this tip is overlooked. The 4 icons located on the grey bar at the bottom of your iPhone – Phone, Mail, iPod, Safari – are movable, just like the rest of the icons. Just press and hold the icons, then drag them while they are shaking. Press the home button when you’re done. You can put any 4 icons on your dock.
In the screenshots, note the difference between pic 1 and 2.
5. Automatically capitalize and add apostrophes
The iPhone automatically capitalizes certain words (“I” when you type “i”). It also automatically adds apostrophes (“I’m” when you type “Im”).
6. Double tap a column on Safari to fit-to-page
When browsing the Internet on your iPhone’s Safari browser, double tap any column, word, or picture to fit it’s width to your iPhone’s screen. This is extremely useful for reading blogs.
The first screenshot is the page when it firsts load. The second screenshot is the page once the main text was double tapped.
7. Manually select the icon image for a bookmarked webpage
This one’s a little more confusing. When you are browsing a website on your iPhone’s Safari browser and want to add its icon to your home screen, press the plus sign and select “Add to Home Screen”.
The image in the icon, however, is a screenshot of the page you were on. So if you want the icon to look a specific way, zoom in on a particular item on the page. Whether you want the website’s logo, or some picture on the page, simply zoom in on that part of the page before you press “Add to Home Screen”.
Note: This doesn’t work with all websites. Popular sites like Google have special icons for the iPhone’s home screen.
Go to your website of choice.
Zoom in on your favorite part.
Press the + sign and choose Add to Home Screen.
Name the bookmark appropriately (Digg – Apple).
Now that exact part of the webpage is displayed in your icon.
8. Your iPhone’s headphones have a multi-function button!
You’d be surprised how many people don’t know that the iPhone’s native headphones have a button on the microphone.
Just squeeze the microphone together, and the button gets pressed.
The buttons functions:
- Press once to answer a call
- Press twice to send the call to voicemail
- Press once to hang up a call
In call while second call coming in… [thank you silver0fox]
- click once to hold current call and switch to new call
- hold for 2 secs and release to ignore new call
Out of call…
- Press once to activate iPod and play song
- Press once to pause song
- Press twice to skip to next song
Using these 8 tips will not only increase your iPhone IQ, but improve your overall iPhone experience. For more iPhone tips and tricks, check out our older article “12 iPhone Tricks You May Not Know“.
Be sure to share your new found knowledge (or atleast inform people that their iPhone’s headphones have a button).
No more SSH, no more jailbreaking, and no more useless utilities. Heck, if you want to add music from youtube video – no problem.
Whether you’re an iPhone rookie or a weathered pro, take a look at
- How to Get Free iPhone Ringtones in Under One Minute
- The iPhone Appears All Over The World Photoshop Contest
- 12 iPhone Hacks, Tricks and Tips You Might Not Have Known
- iBiblia – The Ultimate iPhone Glossary
- How to Revive Your iPhone If 2.0.1 Crashed It
- Getting Things Done With Your iPhone: A Who’s Who in To Dos
- 1Password for iPhone: Review
- Beat Maker for iPhone by Intua – Demo and Review
- How to get Playboy and Penthouse Free On Your iPhone
- All The iPhone 3G Cases