Qik has announced iPhone 3G support, so we decided to take their video streaming application for a spin.
Qik allows you to stream live video to the web right from your iPhone. The service is groundbreaking and amazing (and not to forget — free). Just enter your phone number, follow the link sent to your phone, and you’re live!
"Keep your world in the know, share a laugh, tell engaging stories. Just point your cell phone and stream video live to your your friends on Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, etc. OR use your cell phone like a camcorder and stream hours and hours of video without worrying about storage on your cell phone." – Qik
Here’s a qik video recorded live from Kevin Rose’s (founder of Digg) iPhone of some Digg employees playing Ping Pong at the office:
Step By Step Guide To Set Up Qik
1. In order for iPhone Qik application to work you need to have a jailbroken iPhone. Follow these instructions if you have not done so.
2. As part of the sign-up process, you will need to receive a text message from Qik. Make sure that your SIM card is in your iPhone.
3. Go to http://qik.com/sign_up
4. Once you click Sign-up you will be presented with a step by step configuration screen.
You will receive an SMS text message from Qik shortly
Do not delete Qik’s text message, it’s used to authorize Qik when you first start it.
5. Install Qik using Cydia
Follow these steps to locate Qik in Cydia: Select Sections >> Multimedia >> Qik >> Install.
After installation you can go to Manage >> Qik and see application details, as you can see current version of Qik is 0.3.2
6. You are now ready to launch Qik
Find the Qik icon, and double tap it to launch.
Qik will be authorized automatically if the SMS from Qik is present. If not, you’ll be presented with the "Enter Authorization Code" window. Just go back to the original text message and confirm participation by going to the link provided.
Note:If you cannot locate your original SMS, go to your profile (http://qik.com/ismashphone). "ismashphone" is our user name. On the right hand side, under the profile picture, you will have the option to Reinstall Qik
Before starting your recording, you may want to change the resolution and optimization (video quality) under settings.
When you’re ready, press the REC button and start recording. As you can see on the screenshot, someone started a chat with us when the recording stopped.
Keep in mind that your first video will be viewable by all, so change your pajamas to something more appropriate.
Also, since it’s a video streaming service, your video will show up instantaneously on Qik’s site. Other users will be able to watch your stream while you are recording. After you’re finished, the recording will be saved for online viewing. It’s possible to save the video into iTunes for off-line viewing.
1. If you have your phone jailbroken, it will take you approximately 10-15 minutes to set up Qik.
2. We tested the video recording over Wi-Fi on a 1st generation iPhone. Qik recommends doing streaming over Wi-Fi and 3G, since EDGE is too slow.
3. We’ll try to record some application reviews using Qik and see if we like it.
4. Looks like Qik is another reason to jailbreak your iPhone, there is nothing better than the ability to create and share your videos on the fly.
Share memories through your phone and compare cell phone plans to choose the right video streaming tools and service.