Apple issued iPhone/iPod Touch 2.2 update after 12am November 21, we have anticipated it but not that early.
Before you start your update
1. After update jailbreak will not work on both 2g and 3g
2. If your phone was activated via jailbreak process you will loose activation for 3g iPhone. 2g iPhone will stay activated unless you perform full restore.
3. If you have iPod Touch you will not have any majorGoogle Maps updates: Google Street View, public transit and walking directions
Also, iTunes 8.0.2 is available for download
Some helpful links:
Download latest iPhone Software
For those who read manuals and not blogs, updated iPhone 2.2 Manual
List of notable updates in 2.2:
1. Google Maps
Display address of dropped pins
Share location via email
2. Enhancements to Mail
Resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching of email
Improved formatting of wide HTML email
3. Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes application (over Wi-Fi and cellular)
4. Pressing the Home button from any Home screen takes you to the first Home screen
5. Preferences to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard settings
6. Other Less cool stuff
Improved stability and performance of Safari
Decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
Improved sound quality of visual voicemail messages
Check back for more updates, while we are testing and documenting.
If you have some screen shots send them via submit tip form or submit post comment.
Auto-Correction ON/OFF switch is under Settings -> General -> Keyboard
Google Search box is next to URL, this makes search one click away as suppose to two clicks. It may look a bit cramp, but the two click part was driving me crazy.