The long-awaited iPhone OS 3.0 firmware, which is officially going to be released Wednesday June 17th, has been fully leaked into the torrent realm. The firmware, which has been available only to registered iPhone developers, is now (thanks to the leak called "iPhone OS 3.0 Golden Master") ready to be safely used by any iPhone user. It really works (and it's great!)
Warning: Do this at your own risk.
It will work for 1st generation iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPod Touch users.
Here's how you do it:
1. Download the torrent Go to any famous torrent site, and search for the following:
– 1st generation iPhone users: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
– iPhone 3G users: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
– iPod Touch users: iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
If these search results don't give you any results (because torrents are always changing) search "iPhone OS 3.0" or "iPhone OS 3.0 Golden Master". You'll see "7A341" in the title. It should be about 230 MB.
2. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes
3. Sync and back-up your iPhone This is incredibly important. If you don't do this, you will lose all the stuff on your phone. Also, if something goes wrong, this way you can always safely go back.
4. SHIFT+ Restore (ALT + Update for Mac) Hold down shift or alt (PC/Mac) and press "Update" in iTunes after your iPhone is connected. A browser window will pop up. Select the file with the picture of the disk that you have just downlodaed via torrent. It should be called "iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw" or the variations of it seen above.
5. Let it work iTunes will verify the software, and then it will automatically start restoring and updating the phone (but now with the 3.0 firmware). Allow iTunes to install all your data and sync your stuff (contacts, music, apps, etc…)
Remember, if your iPhone is unlocked (aka if you're using it with T-Mobile or some other non-AT&T provider) then updating the firmware will undo the unlock because it upgrades the baseband. Do not do this if you are using an unlocked iPhone. If your iPhone is jailbroken, updating to 3.0 will undo the jailbreak (until the Dev guys figure out how to jailbreak 3.0, which shouldn't take long), so it's your decision based on what you prefer – 3.0 or a jailbroken phone. The process is safe, easy, and quick. Let us know how it worked out for you in the comments!