The Palm Pre has been released for a few days now, and there are already some good tips, tricks, and hacks that most Pre users probably don’t know.
The iPhone (our specialty here at iSmashPhone) has many, many tips and hacks that iPhone users everywhere take advantage of.
As Pre fans and owners, we figured the same would apply to Pre users. Check these 13 Palm Pre tips and hacks out, and be sure to leave a comment if you discovered some fresh Pre hacks.
1. Soft Reset Hold the power button and cycle the ringer button on/off three times.
From Comment Below (thanks deesugar):
Actually Tip Number 1 is the hardest way to reset it. Much easier to hold down “Orange button” “Sym” and letter “R”. It’s like a Ctrl Alt Del for the Pre.
Another way is go into “Device Info” –> “Reset Options” At this point you have three choices:
a. Soft Reset -restarts it
b. Partial Erases -erases all installed apps and their data but not personal files stored in Mass USB drive mode.
c. Full Erease -Everything Partial erase does and personal files stored on USB partition.
2. Screenshot Hold the Orange key, Sym key, and P key at the same time.
3. Save Battery Life
- Log out of AIM (There is some problem with AIM draining battery power that Palm is currently fixing. And plus, who really uses AIM these days?)
- Change your email settings. Note: each email account can be set-up in a different way.
- Top on the upper left corner of the screen in the email program.
- Open the Preferences menu.
- Set frequently used accounts to check every 15 minutes.
- Set rarely used accounts to Push.
- Turn on WiFi. (It’s weird, but the Palm Pre has better battery life with WiFi than with 3G.)
4. Data Transfer Assistant
The palm Data Transfer Assistant provides a one-time, one-way transfer of Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and memos from your computer to your Palm phone. Simply go to the link above, and follow Palm’s instructions.
- Swipe A horizontal gesture on the touchscreen or the gesture area. The most common swipe is “back”, which is a swipe from the center of the phone to the left in the gesture area.
- Drag Drag upward from the gesture area onto the touch screen to bring up the Quick Launch menu when you are in an application.
- Scroll Speed sensitive. Tap or drag the screen while scrolling to stop.
- Zoom Double tap on an image or area, or use two fingers in a pinch-like fashion.
6. Turn On Advanced Gestures
- Go to “Screen & Lock” app
- Turn on “Advanced gestures” setting
The advanced gestures allow you to scroll in between apps while they are open in fullscreen mode. Simply swipe from the far right the far left, or from the far left to the far right, in the gesture area to move between apps without going to the Card View first. The back gesture still goes from right to left in the gesture area, but it takes a shorter swipe from right to left (halfway).
7. Tap the Battery
Tap the battery icon to see an exact percentage of remaining battery life, the date, WiFi options, Bluetooth settings, and Airplane Mode settings.
8. Uncapitalize a Letter
When typing, the Pre autocapitalizes letters where appropriate (beginning of a sentence, “I”, etc…). To undo this, simply press backspace once. Rather than deleting the letter, it will change it to lower case. Pressing backspace again, obviously, will delete the letter.
9. Pre Recovery Tool Leak
This Pre hack applies mainly to the super tech-savy guys out there, particularly the developers. The “WebOS Reset Doctor” has leaked out (including the 195 MB webOS root). This means that you can now view the Pre’s “hidden” code, which means you (or some really skilled developers somewhere) can find and tweek some hidden Pre features.
10. Sync the Palm Pre with iTunes
Simply connect the Palm Pre to your Mac or PC, select “Media Sync”, and iTunes will auto-launch. You can then choose which DRM-free media files to transfer.
11. Use your Pre as a Mass Storage Drive
Simply connect your Pre to your Mac or PC with a USB cable, and the Pre will appear as a drive on your computer desktop. Drag and drop files into the Pre, or drag files from your Pre to the computer.
12. Solve Post-Shut Freeze
Numerous people have reported that when you close the screen too hard, the phone becomes black yet backlit, and the only way out is to reboot. Turns out there is a problem with battery, because it becomes loose when you slide the screen down hard. Simply put a piece of paper on the top part of the battery between the battery and the phone.
13. Konami Code
This one is funny. To access the “secret” Palm Pre dev mode, simply type the famous Konami cheat code right from the launcher screen of your Pre. The code is “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart”. This opens something called “Developer Mode Enabler”. This was discovered due to the leaked ROM (number 9 on this list). This allows you to connect the Pre to a computer running Palm’s Mojo SDK for webOS, which allows you to do some dev stuff.
Check back for more tips and hacks, the Pre is still a newborn!