Welcome to the unlocking realm of the iPhone world. The Dev Team, the original group of geniuses behind all the jailbreaking and unlocking, have released a new version of their unlocking tool Ultrasn0w called Ultrasn0w 0.9. Geohot, another hacker, has released an updated version of his own unlocking tool Purplera1n, called Purplera1n RC2. Why do they both feel the need to replace a letter with a similar looking number? Couldn't tell ya.
Ultrasn0w 0.9 features:
- Works on both 3G and 3GS
- Works on hacktivated devices (jailbroken)
- Works regardless of how you jailbroke your device
- Doesn't patch any mach-o binary whatsoever
- Doesn't require a separate patch as each new firmware comes out
- Doesn't install any additional daemon
- Has no race conditions, no popups about "Missing SIM", no network issues
- Is almost 7000 times smaller than its nearest competition
- Is available now via Cydia.
- Source repo: http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com
Purplera1n RC2 features:
- 3G (network speed) issues fixed
- Now only patches one file, CommCenter
- Leaves no traces on your baseband after it runs
- 0 bytes of RAM
- Much more clean and reliable
- Only for legit activated iPhone 3GS
There you go folks. Both of these methods work. However, the Purplera1n RC2 is only for the iPhone 3GS, while Ultrasn0w works with both 3G and 3GS. Based on history, we recommend you stick with the Dev Team – they're the all stars in the iPhone hacking industry.