A French security guard is planning to file a lawsuit after his iPhone allegedly blew up in his face.
Yassine Bouhadi, a 26-year-old supermarket watchman from the
southeastern town of Villevieille, said he was typing a text message on
Monday afternoon when the screen exploded, sending a glass shard into his eye.
Bouhadi, who paid 650 euros (about US$850.00) for his iPhone, planned to consult a doctor and file suit for damages. He stated (not surprisingly) "I want an explanation about this damned telephone."
Apparently, this is the second exploding iPhone in France this month: the consumer watchdog group DGCCRF reports that a French teen suffered eye injuries in a similar "iDetonation." Both cases may be related to the rash of overheating iPhone batteries reported earlier this year.
Apple's only statement is that the two screen explosions were "isolated incidents."
[Via Google News]
UPDATE 8/29/09: Apple France's Michel Coulomb met with Herve Novelli, France's top trade official, on August 28 to discuss the ‚Äúexploding iPhone‚Äù issue. Although the House of Jobs is sticking to its guns and maintaining that ‚Äúexternal force‚Äù to the screen may be the culprit, the discussions to date have been cordial. Additionally, the EU‚Äôs consumer watchdog organization RAPEX (sic) is keeping tabs on the situation. Keep in mind, though, that Apple just launched a recall of first-generation iPod Nano‚Äôs in Korea due to widespread battery failures ‚Äì and the iPhone 3GS runs noticeably hotter than its predecessors.