The iPhone Dev Team came to the rescue again with a jailbreak and unlock for the 3.1 iPhone Software.
If you're not sure whether or not you want to jailbreak, read the following posts (they may sway your opinion.)
For more information read the articles below before you start (more after the fold):
How to recover your iPhone ( you will need this if your iPhone was not restored or updated properly)
iPhone OS And Other Downloads To Rescue Failed iPhone Hacks (you will need this if you want to roll back your software)
You will need ipsw files before you start
Download New PwnageTool from Torrent:
Before You Begin:
Read release information about PwnageTool 3.1 from Dev-Team.
1. Tools is available for Mac only
2. Jailbreak and Unlock is available for 3G and 2G phones only
3. 3GS jailbreak is not available at this time.
4. Unlocking will work on iPhone 3G using ultrasn0w. Use this guide for unlock 3.1 instructions.
5. Read comments on Dev-Team blog from early adaptors.
Our iPhone 3.1 Jailbreaking and Unlocking Guides:
The process is exactly the same as in the guides below, we will update guides to reflect any 3.1 issues.
If you've never jailbroken your phone, just follow the guides above. Don't forget to check out our glossary it may help you to understand the terminology.
Follow the check list below if you already have your iPhone jailbroken:
1. If you have Cycorder installed make sure to copy all of the videos from your iPhone to your computer.
Videos are located on your iphone under mobile user in /mobile/Media/Videos.
2. Check /mobile/library/downloads directory for files you'd like to save.
3. Use AppBackup to backup setting for your applications, just in case.
After back-up, copy /mobile/library/AppBackup folder to your computer.
4. Use AptBackup to save the list of installed Cydia Apps. Make sure to sync with iTunes after back-up (back-up is stored in iTunes).
5. If you use Categories there is no way to recover your settings (let us know if you know a method).
6. Sync your iPhone with iTunes for the last time.
7. Use one of our jailbreak guides (see list above).
8. After jailbreaking, use iTunes Restore to copy files back to your iPhone.
9. Go to Cydia and install AptBackup, restore your Cydia Applications.
10. Copy all of the folders/files from steps 1,2,3 back to your iPhone.
- If you use Categories, you will have to rebuild them.
- Also, all of your application icons will have a slightly different arrangement on your springboard.
Let us know if you found a better way to restore to your original set-up on your jailbroken phone. Also, let us know if those apps still work on iPhone 3.0.