The hype leading up to iOS4 (Then known as iPhone OS4) would would lead one to believe it was the second coming. The speculation, the excitement over feature upgrades, the talk saying that this is stuff that should have been included in the system from the start. No matter where you turned, tech blogs were talking about the latest operating system for Apple's iPhone.
During the conference we saw some of the biggest upgrades the operating system has had in a long time. Multitasking, which was long asked for. Features such as GameCenter further proved Apple's desire to plant themselves firmly in the gaming space.
Now, iOS4 is here. Problem is, if you don't have an iPhone 4, it's actually quite underwhelming. Apple's great new OS just isn't as awesome as many of us had hoped. Especially those of us with the 3G and even the 3Gs.
5) What's up with email? – We love the new unified inbox. There is one problem. It's small, but it's a bit counterproductive. We can't delete our emails from the email thread unless we open the message. It used to be such a timesaver to check the inbox and quickly delete 20 or so messages at a time. Now, hitting the edit button only lets us archive the mail. How about when we want to delete in bulk?
4) No Multitasking for 3G – Ok, before someone calls us idiots for this, we want to make something clear. We knew from the day that Jobs announced the multitasking feature that the 3G would not have this function. The problem is that it's something we've seen in jailbreak software. It's something that is possible, though maybe not as efficient. Unfortunately, iOS4 may be something that was better left for the 3Gs and the iPhone 4.
(Image from PC World.)
3) GameCenter delayed – Well, to be fair, maybe delayed isn't the word. Still, when we were introduced to the feature, it was shown off as one of iOS4's Tentpole features. It definitely wasn't made immediately apparent that the feature wouldn't ship in iOS4. In fact, we weren't the only ones wondering what had happened to GameCenter. There were a few posts around Twitter and the internet wondering the same thing. The folks at iSmashPhone will be happy when this function reaches its full potential.
2) Wallpapers - Someone actually emailed Steve Jobs about this one. Turns out that the 3G can't handle the page turns with a custom home screen wallpaper. This is another feature that has been made possible with jailbreak. If anything, just put it in there to shut us all up.
(Image from GadgetsDNA)
1) Battery Hog – This is our single biggest disappointment. Apple, a company usually excellent with their battery life, didn't quite nail it in iOS4. Given, the 3G and the 3Gs aren't the most up-to-date phones on the market, but it's what a lot of us will have for the next year or two. Battery is more important than any of the other functions, and we would rather have a few more hours of battery life, even if that means going back down to an older OS.
(Image from Gizmodo)