If you got new iPhone 4.0 you may be interested to know what to expect from activation and restoration process (restoration is applicable only if you had iPhone before and would like to restore it to a new iPhone 4.0)
Let's jump into iPhone 4.0 activation/restoration process
1. Turn your new iPhone On. You should see connect USB to iTunes icon
2. Connect your iPhone to your computer via usb cable provided and start iTunes
3. iTunes will give you iPhone activation information screen. Complete all the information and click continue.
4. Accept iPhone Terms and and Conditions
5. Accept AT&T TOS
6. Wait for activation process to complete. This is the most critical part of the process, so if servers are busy you will not be able to activate your phone.
7. After complete iPhone activation, your iPhone will restart. Do not forget to disconnect and reconnect your iPhone as per instructions below.
8. Click no thanks to mobile me (common Apple, we hate up-selling)
9. Accept SLA
10. If you had backed-up iphone on this computer you will be given option to restore your iphone 4.0 from prior back-up. Some people choose to start new and not bother with back-up restore, in our case we are doing complete restore.
11. When restore is complete you will be show success message.
12. As a last step you need to sync your iPhone with iTunes, make sure to select movies, books, audio, photos sync parameters before syncing. You have to do it since sync parameters will be different from your prior configuration.
For ous the whole activation process took less then 5 minutes and restoration process less then 10. Sync process time will depend on how much data you are syncing. We are syncing close to 25 GB of data so it may take a while.