A few days back we wrote about some disappointments that came with iOS4. Most of these come if you are an iPhone 3G owner. There are many out there who are stuck with their 3G or 3Gs until their contract expires. What are they to do until then? Wait another year or so for multitasking and background wallpapers? Heck no! It's jailbreak time, baby. Need reasons to jailbreak? Check them here
All you need for now is a device compatible with redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta (that would be an iPhone 3G or an iPod Touch 2G). You should also have iOS4.
As always, remember to back up your device. Read the directions thoroughly. You don't want to lose your valuable data.
1) First, download redsn0w 0.9.5 beta. Then launch it, if you have a Mac, it will be in your downloads folder as shown below:
2) When you start up, you will see the following screen:
3) Click on the "Browse" button, and you will have to direct redsn0w to the iOS4 disc image on your computer.
4) The next step will have you choose the features you want to install. You will likely want multitasking and the homescreen wallpaper, the two features that are missing from the 3G build of iOS4. Cydia is also awesome and has lots of great Apps for your device.
4) Plug the device into your computer via USB and turn it off.
5) Follow the onscreen prompts to put your device into DFU mode.
a) Hold the power button (corner) a few seconds as prompted.
b) Without releasing the power button, press and hold the home button as prompted.
c) Keeping the home button pressed, let go of the power button, but hold the home button down as prompted.
6) Your device will restart itself and your new jailbreak software will load. Enjoy multitasking and home screen wallpapers.
Want more information on jailbreaking your device? See one of our past guides.