Sony Ericsson may be working on a new gaming platform that combines elements of the PSP and a mobile phone.
According to rumors, the device is said to look like a mashup of the Samsung Captivate and Sony's PSPgo. They say it will have a a slide-out controller (similar to the mock-up Engadget put together above) where slide-out phones usually place the keyboard. The PSP's analog nub would be replaced by some sort of trackpad for analog controls.
Here's what's rumored to be included:
- 3.7 to 4.1 inch WVGA (or better) screen
- Will run on Android 3.0 (Gingerbread)
- Includes standard PSP buttons
- 5MP camera (though Engadget says it may not be final)
- 1GHz Snapdragon processor
- Will be PlayStation-branded
- Future titles may include augmented reality features
Engadget seems pretty sure about this rumor. If there sources are right, we could be seeing a PSP Phone as soon as October of this year. That seems a little soon, but surprises have happened. We haven't seen any photo leaks yet. We aren't sure about trying to market a phone solely as a gaming device. Even Apple was careful to avoid that with the iPhone. And who can forget the N-Gage?