With iTunes 10, Apple announced the launch of Ping. Ping is a social networking service built right into iTunes that combines elements of Twitter and Facebook to create a new experience in which iTunes users can share interests in music, "Like" albums and artists or follow their favorite musical groups to know what they are up to.
Here's a quick and easy guide to getting started with Ping in no time.
1) You can download iTunes 10 at Apple's website: Here Click and download iTunes.
2) Upon launching iTunes 10, you will see Ping in the sidebar as shown below. Click on that to get started:
3) Your main iTunes window will display the Ping logo and will give you the option to turn Ping on:
4) Now you are asked to fill in some basic information. Fill in the required fields:
Some may be more concerned about privacy than others. Just know that anything you post is now available to everybody.
5) Ping will then ask you about the kind of music you like and how to display it:
6) Next, Ping will ask you about your privacy settings. There are three settings here:
a) You can allow anybody to follow you.
b) You can be followed but only allow people to follow you upon approval.
c) You can choose not to let anyone follow you.
7) You get a welcome screen, which will from now on be your homescreen when you start Ping. The service will give you some recommendations. We think Rick Rubin is pretty cool so we simply click the follow button next to his name:
8) We can now follow Rick Rubin and see what he like and what he is up to: