A few days ago we talked about why it may be worth jailbreaking your PlayStation 3. We mentioned backing up games, faster load times and a few other things that may give you good reason to jailbreak a PS3.
Now it's time to turn things around. Here are reasons not to jailbreak your PS3:
1) Say goodbye to online - No doubt about it, if you are playing a game off your backup manager, it's best to just stay offline completely. Sony will eventually figure our what you're doing. They won't like it, and they may just kick you, and your PSN ID off for good. Remember, you play on their network, you play by their terms of service. That means no jailbreak‚Ä¶legal or not.
2) No, really. Say goodbye to online - Okay, so you want to play online anyway. Go for it. Guess what? Sony releases mandatory firmware updates for online players. This means that users who want to do anything, anyting online: Play with friends, go on PlayStation Home, buy something from the PlayStation Store you have to sign on. Fine, maybe you can handle no online, but did you know some games–even some with seemingly no online capabilities–need a connection for Trophy syncing. At least that was the impression we got with Heavy Rain when PlayStation Network went down for a full 24-hours. Many couldn't play games with Trophy support (that's almost all of them at this point). This will also keep you from downloading patches to fix game bugs.
3) Auto updates will render jailbreak useless - So, let's say you choose to do the update. There goes your jailbreak. Choosing the better option often becomes a balancing act of "which would be better for me right now?"
4) Void Your Warranty - This one should be obvious, but it's worth mentioning. You do not want to void a warranty that is still good. Of course you may have a system with an expired warranty, so it doesn't seem a like a huge deal, especially if you have a backup. Many people bought the original console and picked up a the Slim just because it looked nice. They kept the original for the backwards compatibility. Just do yourself a favor and don't void your warranty. It might come in handy one day.
5) You don't have to jailbreak to watch great movies – Did you know that you don't have to hack, mod or jailbreak your PS3 to watch movies and TV shows? We aren't talking about downloading and renting from PSN, and we aren't talking Blu-Ray. The PS3 is a great movie player–it can play content off an external USB drive in any of the following formats:
‚Ä¢ Memory Stick Video Format
- - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
- - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile ?AAC LC?
- - MPEG-2 TS?H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC?
- MP4 file format
- - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
- MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
- MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
- MPEG-2 TS?MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3?Dolby Digital?, AAC LC?
- MPEG-2 TS?H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC?
- - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
- - Motion JPEG (?-Law)
- AVCHD ?.m2ts / .mts?
- - VC-1?WMA Standard V2?
We won't ask you how you obtain your movies, but just know that they do play on a PS3 through any external device, and you can even import them to your system's internal HDD.