Updatd iPad iOS 4.2 Guide: iPad 4.2 jailbreak: How to Jailbreak iPad 4.2 With RedSn0w on iOS 4.2
Those of you who are running an iPad on iOS4.2 GM can already jailbreak your device, so if you are one of those people who has been waiting for a jailbreak before downloading the update, here's your chance.
**Important** Always back up your devices before jailbreaking
1) First, you will want to upgrade your iPad to iOS 4.2 GM. We posted a tutorial, which can be found: Here.
2) Now, you will want to download PwnageTool 4.1:
PwnageTool 4.1.2 Torrent - PwnageTool_4.1.2.dmg.5904259.TPB.torrent
SHA1 Sum = 1c0d5ea45464e336fcb38c644dc125c3a16b5493
(If that doesn't work, you can find mirrors here)
3) Download the latest version of PwnageTool Bundle for iPad: Here
4) Copy the version of PwnageTool you downloaded on step 2 to your desktop. Right click and go to "Show Package Contents."
5) Go to Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/ and drop in the the iPad1,1_4.2_8C134b.bundle file to this location.
Should look something like this now:
6) Now you will take the atvBundlePatcher.sh file and Info.plist.patch and put them into the same directory as PwnageTool.app, but not inside the bundle. Run the script via terminal. Note that if you do not run this patch it will break sandboxing and Safari will not run unless you do a tethered boot.
7) Now run PwnageTool, select the iPad as your device and follow the onscreen prompts from PwnageTool.
8) Now You wait a bit. PwnageTool will begin building a custom .ipsw file for your iPad. Save it to your desktop.
9) You must now enter DFU mode. This can be a bit tricky at first, but the onscreen instructions will guide you accordingly.
10) When successful, iTunes will run tell you that it detects a device in recovery mode.
11) From here, you must Alt-click on Restore. You will be prompted to select the location of your custom firmware.
12) Select the custom firmware ipsw that was created, and hit ok.
13) From here, you must wait while iTunes installs the new firmware on your device, which should restart automatically when the process is complete.
14) Now re-sync your iPad.
You are done, any questions/comments leave them below.