Some of you may remember a while back when we reported on some temporary fixes that iPhone hacker Sherif Hashim had suggested for users who had unlocked their iPhone 3G and 3GS (we have an unlock walkthrough for BBs later than 05.13.04) were having battery issues. It was because the iPhones were constantly looking for valid push certificates. It killed batteries and made phones run warm even when not in use.
As promised then, hacker sbinger has finished his fix, SAM (Subscriber Artificial Module). And as the dev-team puts it, this kills two birds with one stone: It tricks the iPhone and iTunes into creating a legitimate activation tickets even though you are unlocked with Ultrasn0w, Push notifications should work and your battery life will go up considerably.
Here’s what they say:
To help make it easier to try out @sbingner‚Äôs tool, we‚Äôve updated redsn0w to include a new ‚ÄúDeactivate‚Äù option for the 3G and 3GS. Use this option *after* you‚Äôve installed SAM‚Ä¶it will remove the normal patches made to lockdownd and let SAM take over. (sbingner plans on making a button to do this within SAMPrefs too). Great work, @sbingner!
The new redsn0w with the ‚ÄúDeactivate‚Äù option is at:
- Windows (Windows 7 and Vista users, please run redsn0w as Administrator in ‚ÄúXP Compatiblity Mode‚Äù)
1) Launch Cydia and add the following repository: http://repo.bingner.com
2) Install “SAM” and “SAMPrefs”
3) Now do the following (as per sbinger):
Hacktivated with redsn0w or PwnageTool:
- You will need to revert to a stock lockdownd for SAM to function
- Option #1: redsn0w for iPhone 3G or 3GS on firmware 4.0 or later
- Download redsn0w 0.9.6b6 or later from http://blog.iphone-dev.org
- Run redsn0w and select the “Deactivate” option
- Option #2: my custom stockify program – works on any phone 3.0+
- With SAM and SAMPrefs installed; install openssh and secure shell into your phone. Run “stockify” and it will revert your lockdownd to a stock lockdownd
- Reboot your phone
4) Now go to Settings > SAM and hit De-Activate iPHone
5) Activate Phone with iTunes. It’s also noted that if you get an “Invalid SIM” notification, you will have to manually select the carrier under one of the methods besides “Automatic” and then click on a SIMID.