You've jailbroken your iPad. Well, if you haven't we've put together a guide on how to jailbreak iPad 4.2: here.
You will also want to change your iPad's Root password and gain SSH access. (which you will need for this how to, so now is the time to do that anyway).
Let's say you are upstairs in bed and you have your iPad. Your Mac is in the other room, and you want to grab a video file from your computer to watch on your iPad. You can go downstairs in your boxers, plug in your iPad, drag the file into iTunes and sync.
Or you can install the following and enjoy easy syncs from now on.
Read on after the jump
You will need:
- Cyberduck (Free) for your Mac
– iTeleport for iPad – $24.99
– VLC Media Player – Free
– AppLinks (Free on Cydia)
You will have to log into your iPad via your FTP client. In our case, it's Cyberduck.
1) Launch AppLinks (on your iPad) and hit the little circle icon to create links to all your Apps.
2) Launch iTeleport after installing and setup. You will need the client for your computer as well as the iPad App for this to work properly.
3) Via iTeleport (you should right now be on your iPad and able to control your Mac over your network), launch Cyberduck and hit "Open Connection."
4) Log in with the following using SSH protocol (as shown in picture below):
Server: iPad's IP (this is found under settings>wi-fi and the little blue arrow next to your current network's name. Your iPad IP across from the "IP Address" field.)
password: you should have changed this by now following our guide. Apple's default is 'alpine', but we suggest you change it, because now anyone on your network can get into your iPad if they know what they are doing.
5) You should now by logged into your iPad. Go into /private/var/mobile/AppLinks
6) You will see all your Apps named on a list. Look for the VLC.app folder.
7) Open the folder. Within that, you should see a folder called Documents. (for reference, other folders are Library, tmp, VLC.app. You don't need to worry about the other files)
8) You will now drag and drop the movie file you want to use into the "Documents" folder.
9) Let it transfer
10) Launch VLC player on your iPad and you should now have the file on your device.
Side note: iTeleport is an awesome application. It's our favorite of its kind. While Apps like LogMeIn work wonderfully, we think that for the price and stability of iTeleport, it can't be beat.
We will say this: iTeleport takes some getting used to when it comes to controls. We have a layout style we like, and you may want to give it a try. It looks something like this: