Today Research in Motion announced the official information on the BlackBerry PlayBook. This after months of rumor and speculation. We saw videos from RIM showing off different features of the PlayBook, and many looked. Some of the specs on this tablet even seemed to be responses to some of the things Apple's iPad lacked. We do wonder how much we will like the size of the tablet, but it fits the needs of many of the users out there.
For those who have been interested in BlackBerry's venture into the tablet market, here's what you need to know about the upcoming device.
1) Pricing and Models
The PlayBook wifi is going to come in three models, just like the iPad. The pricing tiers for the PlayBook wifi are identical to those of the iPad. The PlayBook wifi is priced as follows:
16GB – $499
32GB – $599
64GB – $699
2) BlackBerry Playbook Release Date and Availability
The BlackBerry PlayBook will be available on April 19, 2011. According to RIM's press release, those interested can begin placing their orders today through Best Buy, Best Buy Mobile of Future Shop (Canada).
The PlayBook will be available at the above mentioned stores, but they also announced that the tablet will be available in more than 20,000 retail outlets throughout the US and Canada. They are as follows:
BlackBerry from Wireless Giant
Chapters / Indigo
The major carriers for the PlayBook in the US will be the AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. Unfortunately, the press release issued by RIM has no mention of a 3G model or a pricing plan.
5) BlackBerry PlayBook Specs
The specs as per RIM:
BlackBerry PlayBook specifications:
- 7" 1024×600 WSVGA capacitive LCD touch screen
- Ultra-portable at less than a pound and less than one-half inch thick: 0.9 lbs (425g) and 5.1‚Äö√Ñ√π x 7.6‚Äö√Ñ√π x 0.4‚Äö√Ñ√π (130mm x 194mm x 10mm)
- 1 GHz dual-core processor
- BlackBerry¬¨√Ü Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
- MP3, AAC and WMA audio playback
- Support for high resolution video playback (H.264, MPEG4, WMV)
- 1080p HDMI output
- Dual 1080p HD cameras for video conferencing and video capture (3MP front and 5MP rear)
- 1 GB RAM memory
- Up to 64 GB internal storage (16, 32 and 64 GB models)
- GPS, Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), 6-Axis Motion Sensor (Gyroscope), Digital Compass (Magnetometer)
- Stereo speakers and stereo microphones
- Wi-Fi¬¨√Ü (802.11 a/b/g/n) connectivity
- Bluetooth¬¨√Ü 2.1+EDR support
Time to Get a PlayBook?
Competition is a wonderful thing; we truly believe that. Whether we buy or like the PlayBook does not matter. It's something we will try out when we get the chance, and it's something you should check out if you're interested in. If tablet makers are kept on their toes because of other tablet makers, whether it's Apple, RIM, Samsung or Motorola, that's a good thing for the consumer.
More info at BlackBerry's website.