The iPhone Dev-Team has just released the iOS 4.3.1 untethered jailbreak.
For the last few weeks we’ve been hearing about the Redsn0w jailbreak with the untethered exploit from ion1c (Stefan Essar). It all began with a little YouTube video he posted. In the description, he explained what was going on and we learned that he had uncovered an exploit that made it possible to run an untethered jailbreak in iOS 4.3.1.
Well that still holds true today as the jailbreak is now available. Sorry, iPad 2 owners. We’re sure something will come.
As for everyone else, here’s how to run the untethered jb on iOS 4.3.1:
Important: As always, remember to back up your iDevice. If things should somehow go very wrong, you want to keep your data. And we hate to sound like a broken record, but in case you skipped the backstory: This does not work on the iPad 2 yet.
1) Download the version of iOS that matches your iOS device (make sure you know where you download it to. We suggest creating a little folder in your computer called “Jailbreaks” where you can keep your ipsw files and jb tools).
Download redsn0w as well:
2) Go to iTunes and connect your device. Under the device’s options (in iTunes) you will see a “Restore” button. Click on that while holding “Option” (Mac) or “Shift” (Windows) This is done by going to iTunes and plugging in your device. Hold Option (Mac) or Shift (Windows) and click Restore. You will be asked to choose a file to restore from. This will be an IPSW file. Let iTunes restore your iDevice to 4.3.1. At this point you should be running 4.3.1 without a jailbreak.
3) Launch Redsn0w. You will be asked to choose an IPSW. Again, choose the IPSW you downloaded in step one. You should get a message from redsn0w telling you that the IPSW is successfully identified.
4) In Redsn0w, Check off the “Install Cydia” option and hit “next.”
5) Be sure that you have your iDevice OFF and plugged in. Redsn0w will remind you of this as you go through the steps. Hit next.
6) Redsn0w’s onscreen instructions will show you how to enter DFU mode on your iDevice. Follow those exactly. You may not get it right the very first time, but it becomes natural after a jailbreak or two.
7) Redsn0w will do the rest for you, so just wait a bit while it does its thing.
There you go. Your iDevice should reboot and you you now have a jailbroken, untethered iOS 4.3.1 device.