We subscribe to a digital magazine. Guess what? It’s not Playboy. We subscribe to Game Developer Magazine. We have no intention of being developers, but the information about game design and development in very interesting to us. The problem is, it’s all within our browser, which is okay, but we’d rather have it on our iPad no matter where we go. Good thing iBooks will open PDF files. We’re going to show you how to import any PDF you want to iBooks for reading on the go. Again, this works with any PDF, but we are using a magazine we subscribe to as an example for this little tutorial.
1) First, you will need a PDF. For the sake of simplicity, we saved this one on our desktop. It’s my most recent issue of the magazine downloaded from the website.
2) Launch iTunes.
3) Go to File > Add to Library, or simply hit Command+O
4) Select your PDF.
5) It will import to your “Books” section in iTunes.
6) Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. (Note that you must have iBooks installed on your device. If you don’t, you can download free it from iTunes)
7) Make sure that your device is set to sync books as well (as ours is).
8) Sync your device to import your PDFs to the iPad, iPhone or iPod touch.
9) The PDF will show up on your bookshelf under a section designated for PDFs.
10) If you want to further organize them, you can do what we do and create categories under “Collections”.
11) After that, you can hit “Edit” in the top-right corner select your book, and “Move” from the top-left corner. Check off the collection you want to add it to (in our case we put it in our 2011 collection).
12) Now you can select a collection and read you PDF on the iPad.