Image from eqla3 via Snopes (note: image is not from the incident mentioned)
We’re not making light of a sad story with the title. It’s just truth. A 25-year-old man in India was killed when his fake phone, a Chinese knockoff, electrocuted him. The handset was plugged in and charging when Dhanji Damor decided to use his phone. It shocked him, and despite his friends’ attempt to save hime by rushing him to the hospital, Damor was pronounced dead.
Sadly, this kind of story is not unheard of. Reports of deaths like these have surfaced before, such as that of a woman last year.