iOS 4.3 has already been around for a few weeks. Still, we’ve had some friends ask about where that orientation lock option is.
As some of you may know, the iPad originally shipped with the orientation lock set to the side switch (above the volume control) and it became a mute button with the release of iOS 4.2. This was bad, but made worse by the fact that Apple did not give us the option of keeping our old orientation lock. Doing so meant opening up the multitask dock and tapping the “Lock” icon.
Well, it’s back, and now we have the option: Orientation Lock or Mute Switch? The thing is, it defaults to the Mute Switch setting. Here’s how to change that.
1) Go to “Settings”
2) Under “Settings” go to “General”
3) You will see an option under those settings called “Use Side Switch to:”
4) Under that, two options: “Lock Rotation” and “Mute”
5) By default, “Mute” is checked off, so simply tap on “Lock Rotation.”
6) Now you can simply flip a switch when you want your iPad’s screen to stay in place when you move around. SWEET!