In the state of Arkansas, only police officers and coroners are allowed to purchase blue lights for use in an emergency vehicle. However, that was a law that was passed in 1997 after some loon went around the eastern part of the state terrorizing women, which earned him the name “the blue-light rapist.” Now, buying or selling flashing blue lights for your dash can land you up to six years in prison.
Unfortunately, these folks didn’t see the possibility of something like the iPhone and the App Store back in 1997. They’d never figured that one day people would be able to purchase apps for $1 or $2 and have flashing blue lights on their iPad or iPhone.
Now, some are expressing concern over these Apps. Just imagine someone putting an iPad on their dash and playin’ the fuzz. It’s likely that the apps weren’t designed for that purpose, they were just silly apps, but two of the apps that raise concern are Fuzz Lights ($1.99) and Outta my Way! (99 cents).
So yeah, don’t go around with a blue, flashing iPad on your dash. You might tick off a cop.
Of course that wouldn’t be the silliest law (outlaw the selling of a 99-cent iPhone App?). Here are a few more silly laws in Arkansas, according to DumbLaws.com:
– The Arkansas River can rise no higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock
– A law provides that school teachers who bob their hair will not get a raise.
– A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
– Oral sex is considered to be sodomy.
– Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs. (We really want to know what led to this one)
A few city laws:
– It is illegal to kill “any living creature”.
– Honking one’s car horn at a sandwich shop after 9 PM is against the law.
– No one may “suddenly start or stop” their car at a McDonald’s.
– Dogs may not bark after 6 PM.
– Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.
– It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1:00 PM on Sunday.
[Via Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (subscription required to view story)]