Last week saw the release of new jailbreak tools that made it possible to jb the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S (Apple’s iOS devices running on the A5 chip) running on iOS 5 or iOS 5.0.1 (note the iPad must be on iOS 5.0.1). That jailbreak was for Mac, and you can find it here.
The jailbreak tool is by Greenpoison, and it’s called Absinthe. We have updated our jailbreak guides with the appropriate downloads, that is, the firmware you must have running on your iOS device (here) and the jailbreak tools (here – here)
First, you should download and update to any necessary firmware and download the jailbreak tools as well.
1) Unzip the Absinthe archive
2) Right-click the absinthe.exe application and select “Run as Administrator” If prompted on whether or not it’s okay to run Absinthe, click “Allow to Proceed.”
3) Connect your iOS device to your computer via USB.
4) Click the Jailbreak button in the Absinthe window.
5) Your iOS device will read “Restore in Progress” leave it be for now.
6) After Absinthe is done, unlock your device and find the Absinthe icon on one of your Home Screens, tap on it.
7) The Greenpoison site will launch in mobile Safari and your device will reboot.
8) Cydia will now be on your home screen where the Absinthe icon was previously located.
9) Congrats! You now have a jailbroken iPhone 4S or iPad 2.