This one comes from the BigBoss blog by way of MuscleNerd. The untethered jailbreak from pod2g is coming along, and it seems that it will be coming along soon enough.
Here’s a bit of what MuscleNerd had to say:
@pod2g’s 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether is working out great. All devices are covered except for AppleTV3,1, which currently has no path for jailbreaking.
– the initial 5.1.1 plan used a kernel exploit from @westbaer which unfortunately precluded use in iPod3,1 (latest ipod touch) and iPhone2,1 (iPhone 3gs)
– @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
* The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
* Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI “cinject” binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
– timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
The main thing is that last point. It says “Plans are for this week.” Of course that is subject to change, depending on “a number of factors.”