Reports: Recent Electrocution Death in China May Have Involved Non-Apple Charger

iPhone 4 Closeup

We recently heard about an accident in which a woman in China was killed by a plugged-in iPhone. She used the device, and it electrocuted her.

However, it’s being reported that the charger may have actually been a knock-off.

A telecommunications expert named Xiang Ligang said, “Knockoff chargers sometimes cut corners. The quality of the capacitor and circuit protector may not be good, and this may lead to the capacitor breaking down and sending 220 volts of electricity directly into the cell phone battery.”

Apple is cooperating with the authorities in figuring out what went wrong. There was also an incident in which a man was shocked, but survived and remains in a coma at a Beijing hospital. It’s a bit scary, but it’s worth keeping in mind that some cheaper chargers have lower-quality components, and it has cost at least one person her life.

[via MacLife]

About 8bitjay

Google + Profile