We really want to check this out. Seriously. It’s a little bit pricey, but it has a lot to it. It’s called Disney Animated, and it’s an app for iPad.
It goes through every one of Disney’s 53 animated films. It has interactive animations and cool concept art, and more. One of the highlights is a Wreck-It-Ralph character that you can fully animate with a 3D animation tool built into the application.
Here are some features:
• Read about Disney animation in a way you never could before, and work with Disney characters and technologies via sophisticated interactives.
• Reveal work-in-progress animation steps and visual effects layers beneath animated scenes.
• Zoom in on concept art, painted backgrounds, and storyboards to see intricate details as never before possible.
• Rotate treasured artifacts from the locked vaults of The Walt Disney Animation Research Library as if they were in the palm of your hand.
• Animate Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph using a simple but powerful 3D animation package adapted from real Disney modeling software. Share your animations by email or social media.
• Control Elsa’s magical snow from the upcoming film Frozen, using an authentic re-creation of the visual effects animation system used in the movie. Share your snow flurries by email or social media.
• Swipe through a complete timeline of every Walt Disney Animation Studios feature film, with animated clips from your favorite characters and recently uncovered trailers.
• Trace your finger over the Color Map: a single full-screen image that shows every scene from every Walt Disney Animation Studios animated feature film in thumbnail form. Never before has this complete catalog been browsable in this way.
It also includes a Principles of Animation chapter from The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, which is a wonderful book I was lucky enough to find used at a Half-Price Books store.