Want to know something cool about the next generation of USB technology? According to a press release from USB.org, it will be reversible.
That’s right, the folks at TheLoop spotted this little bit of information. While it’s only one of the changes coming to the USB format, and it’s a small change, it’s actually very useful. Think about those times when you used to try to plug in your Apple 30-pin connector. It was a pain. Now think to the Lightning Connector. It plugs in either way. It’s so convenient.
Here’s some more info:
Key characteristics of the USB Type-C connector and cable solution include:
- An entirely new design tailored to work well with emerging product designs
- New smaller size – similar in size to the existing USB 2.0 Micro-B
- Usability enhancements – users will no longer need to be concerned with plug
- orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in
- The Type-C connector and cable will support scalable power charging
- Scalability – the connector design will scale for future USB bus performance
Read the press release here.